Friday, May 27, 2011

Update

One of the frustrating truths about independent filmmaking is that sometimes you cast an actor who drops out at the last moment. Sometimes it is due to legitimate scheduling conflicts with, say, the television series on which she is the leading role. Sometimes it is due to money — Spielberg calls, for example. Sometimes it is due to illness or family crisis.

With one phone call, the lives of dozens of people, locations and enterprises shifted. I have no idea why Justin dropped out; I'd only had a brief breakfast conversation with him about it and he seemed genuinely excited to do the role. I believe that he wanted to do it.

Terrible. We had less than a few days to find a new Owen.

Fortunately, Josh Hopkins, who was all set to play Owen's nemesis, Charles, and I had spoken in our first meeting about how he could essentially play either of the roles. Josh is a talented actor, fearless, funny and a real goofball inside a leading man. I couldn't be more happy about Josh playing Owen!

My producing partner, Gill, believes these things happen for a reason, that the movie that should be made gets made in whatever way the stars align... or something like that. (Full disclosure: Gill would never, EVER put it that way. I am paraphrasing. Okay, I made it up.) Anyway, things happen. We adapt or we don't.

When anything difficult happens on a film, I always rely on the advice of my friend Kathryn Tucker, who is also one of the producers of this project. She says, "Remember first to panic, then blame someone, then eat." Obviously, she's joking, but it kind of works!

Onward and upward and off to cast Charles.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tim! That's incredibly frustrating. But I'm so glad you already had someone on board who could fit the bill, and would be great to work with. (Goofball inside a leading man? Swoon.)

    ReplyDelete